Thursday, June 30, 2011

Cruise Number Two


Hi everyone!
I trust you are all keeping well wherever you may be!
I am currently in the Scottish sea, having left Oban last night and we are now en route to Invergordan. What a week this has been! We finished opening all of our seven shows on the first cruise and sailed into St. Malo for lunch with CC and Suzy. It was gorgeous in St. Malo, but I guess technically we had lunch in St. Servan, another gorgeous place where French is spoken all around. We sailed into Southampton on the last day for what we call “disembark/embark day” in which most of the passengers get off as the cruise is over and a new lot get on in one day and we sail away that night! Talk about a suite change over. Housekeeping works double time!
I was lucky enough to have my mum and granny come over from the Isle of Wight, where Granny lives, (just a 1 hour car ferry away) and they came aboard the ship! I gave them the grand tour of the beautiful 9 deck ship including insider detail to my cabin, the theatre and of course as my mother is a sommelier, our fabulous 6 star wine flight restaurant, La Champagne.
I have started a postcard collection from every port that I visit, which will be fun to look at when I am done. The unfortunate thing is, that I have terrible penmanship, so I’m going to just keep the postcards, and not send them out. That way you wont have to decipher what I am saying. We are in the middle of our second cruise, and this crowd is a bit tougher then the first; yet, I think they are cracking and are just lovely. I’ve already been invited to dinner by Mary a wonderful woman from England, cruising with us, and it was a wonderful dinner.
We visited Falmouth, and it was an adorable English seaside town, with the most delicious clotted-cream & black-current ice cream. (Lara – you need to try this ice-cream, it will change your life) We also ran into some Pirates, well, three young  strapping men, dressed as Pirates who were on their way to Penzance to be part of the new Guinness World record for most Pirates assembled in one place.
 After Falmouth came Cork, and we ported in Cobh, which had Titanic memorably everywhere as it was the last port of the great ship before it fell in that fateful night. Cork was stunning as well, the cathedral was beautiful and The famous English Market was amazing. I am still nibbling on some delicious local cheese.
 I have to say Dublin was a favorite so far. The hustle and bustle of the street reminded me of Manhattan and how much I miss its business. The Irish pubs in Temple Bar were amazing, and St. Stephen’s Green was as beautiful as Central Park, if not more-so.
Oban, where we left last night, was  a hit. The Oban distillery was a sight to see, and the Oban Fish & Chips had some of the best fried Cod I’ve ever had. However, it was the Muscles that was the winning dish here, and I had ½ a kilo for only £5.60! (and a ginger beer of course!)
We have our second night of Studio 54 tonight, a show where I get to sing Beatles, Rolling Stones, and Elton John’s, Don’t let the Sung Go Down on Me. (which might be my favorite Park & Bark number) ~Park & Bark is a term in musical theatre where you do nothing but sing and stand, no elaborate choreography, no dance breaks, just standing in one place (parking) and singing your heart out (barking) ~
Tomorrow I am going to do my first Shore excursion by Silversea. It has something to do, with having tea in a Scottish Castle, so I am looking forward to it. It should be quite fun. I am trying to get on the excursions as they seem to be a great guided way to see some amazing things in the ports that you might not be able to do if walking on foot or exploring on your own.
I am still trying to get pictures uploaded on here, as I am blogging on my computer and my photos are on my iphone, and they are having trouble blue-toothing. Since I don’t want to send them via email, to expensive to be on for that long, what should I do. ROB?  Perhaps I’ll work it out for next week.
Lots of love,
Rhett

No comments:

Post a Comment